- A large cushion or pillow.
- A pad, quilt, or anything used to hinder pressure, support part of the body, or make a bandage sit easy upon a wounded part; a compress.
- A small spacer located on top of the axle of horse-drawn wagons that gives the front wheels enough clearance to turn.
- A short, horizontal structural timber between a post and a beam for enlarging the bearing area of the post and/or reducing the span of the beam.
- A beam in the middle of a railway truck, supporting the body of the car.
- The perforated plate in a punching machine on which anything rests when being punched.
- The part of a knife blade that abuts upon the end of the handle.
- The metallic end of a pocketknife handle.
- The rolls forming the ends or sides of the Ionic capital.
- A block of wood on the carriage of a siege gun, upon which the breech of the gun rests when arranged for transportation.